About me

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Where's the perfection?

We, Poles, are obsessed with being perfect in any field of activity. And if we are not or don't have something which is or works perfectly well we of course make biggest complains in the world. We always think that if something doesn't work properly or isn't proper in a way we think it should be, it is because we are poor, lazy, post-communist or any other argument works fine. To complain on everything is our national trait and I think it is in many cases because we, as a society are simply narrow-minded, we don't know the world and have huge complex about being a post-communist country, poorer than the Western Europe - towards which we are running breathlessly. We complain on our public transportation system, that busses and trams are not on time, we complain on our sport facilities that we don't have the fanciest aqua parks and that there is not enough of them only those old swimming pools, we make our home perfectly - the walls have to be as smooth as possible and whiter than white, best bathrooms and kitchens and so on and so fort. The list os long.
And now I'm living in one of best developed and richest countries in the world famous from its transportation system and highest living standards and satisfaction. And well? It is really hard not to complain. So far I'm using only trams from the public transport variety of busses, subway and light rail. And it is actually a rule that trams are not on time. And especially if YOU HAVE TO BE somewhere ON TIME. Recently I was waiting with Wanda for 20 minutes for a tram to get home. But it happens so often I stopped to check the schedule. But here people (those tough Finns, who survived the harshest winters) are somehow very patient and very calm. And - oh sweet irony! - recently in one English language paper I've read that the Finns are the most satisfied among the European countries in case of public transportation. Well, yes, while standing at the tram stop and waiting and waiting and feeling more and more irritated I started to look at the people. They seemed not to be annoyed, they simply were waiting. And while walking back home I've met my neighbor and I told him about that 20 minutes. And he was calm and relaxed too. He said, well yes, they sometimes get stuck somewhere and come late. Yes, I said and quickly changed the topic to something more pleasant. I didn't want to be matched with a complaining Pole...
Another example today on the police station. Here you go to the police to get ID cards, so I went, cause as a Finnish permanent resident I should have a Finnish ID. The building looked inside like any ordinary Polish bureau or department or registry office. But the "interior design" is not that important. I went there (with Wanda of course), I took a number from this machine (I had to ask someone, which button should I press if I apply for an ID card - Finnish language makes me illiterate person, but about this I'm write in a separate post), I looked at it - 136, then I looked at the number currently being on screen - 96. Well, yes. I didn't wait. I left. I'll try another day in the morning. I was not annoyed or irritated. It made me actually feel better (what a Schadenfreude!) that in Poland things are not so bad. We are not Russia - as many of the depressed Poles think, we are Europe! We have to cure our complexes, we have to learn to enjoy what we have good and nice.
And tonight I went swimming to the oldest swimming pool in Helsinki, from the 20., in downtown. And again - it didn't look like a five star spa. It was an old and old-fashion swimming pool with pretty cold water and very modest sauna.
And I could give you countless examples about how this rich but modest society lives and doesn't complain. They teach me good lessons almost every day.

5 comments:

  1. Olu, czy nie uważasz, że to czasem nie jest kwestia tego że ten kraj nie jest perfekcyjny, tylko po prostu nasze wymagania i wyobrażenia o nim są zbyt wysokie. Zbyt wiele czasem oczekujemy. Myślę, że dla mieszkańców Finlandii jest to kraj perfekcyjny. Czasami my Polacy nie potrafimy docenić tego co mamy w kraju a od innych oczekujemy jeszcze więcej. Polacy powinni nauczyć się cieszyć i docenić to co mają w kraju.
    Z dużym zaciekawieniem czytam Twój blog. Bardzo wiele, interesujących spostrzeżeń. Miło przeczytać, jak odbierasz kraj który tak lubię.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tak, to prawda, to my mamy zbyt wysokie oczekiwania i uwielbiamy narzekac - nasza narodowa cecha :) moze powinnismy uczyc sie pogody ducha od innych narodow?
    dzieki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dobry post! Uczmy sie tej pogody ducha! Ale z drugiej strony rozumiem jak denerwujace jest czekanie 20 min. na tramwaj! W duchu raduje sie ze w Kopenhadze transport miejski jest nienaganny. Przynajmniej z mojego czyli bardzo sporadycznego uzytkownika punktu widzenia. No to masz kolejny powod zeby jednak kupic rower, hmm?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rower koniecznie, ale chyba jednak na wiosne. Teraz ucze sie jazdy samochodem :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The numbers not matching might be because they use different number ranges for different things (i.e. they have different counters for different things).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.