About me

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Some more about vacation in a Finnish mokki


So basically you are suppose to do nothing but resting, swimming, rowing, BBQ-ing, drinking, sweating in a sauna, picking berries (although at the time we went there were either too early or too late to find some blueberries) and last but not least - fighting mosquitos. Yes, those notorious insects can change your heavenly holidays into a battle field. I think I used something like three bottles of different anti-mosquitos sprays for myself and my kids and one day I started to feel dizzy and I stopped using them at once, because they basically didn't work anyway. I was afraid I am poisoned but not the little guys. So yes, be prepared or simply ignore them altogether as my husband did and he was less ticked by them than me. Unfair! Another thing - if you really wish to have a true Finnish experience of being all alone surrounded by Finnish nature and the only voice you hear for a week is your inner voice, don't choose a place within 200 km from Helsinki. Go further up to north or east maybe. I can't give you exact tips for the most remote place, but the one we went to was definitely not the one. While booking our cottage we didn't notice that there were actually two cottages on that plot bordered only by a thin line of young trees and bushes. Luckily the house was not occupied for the whole week, but still we had for a few days some sort of company. No, no, nothing bad had happened. Not at all. The people were just fine, quiet - definitely more than us with two overenthusiastic kids running around from 7 in the morning. But for example if you'd wish to run all naked from the sauna to the lake - be prepared to be seen by a neighbor. Or cover yourself with a towel. 
My husband is a guy who needs to have some plans and things to do, so for him the first day was kinda weird. What shall I do? Hm, well, nothing? So after three days of that idleness we went for a day trip to see an amazing place, namely an old paper factory located somewhere in nowhere which was still operating in the 1960. Here you can read some more about Werla. Basically the whole factory is preserved perfectly well, you could start the production process any time, all the machines and tools are there. I was really amazed seeing the place and learning about the paper production process, actually quite simple and really almost hand made with machines very simple more like manufacture then machines.








2 comments:

  1. You should always bring books, playing cards, and possibly mölkky, etc. and most definitely get those spiral mosquito smoke things. You should also tell your hubby that the whole point is to not do anything. Maybe he'll figure out some chore or pastime that is essentially that.

    As for getting your daughter to sauna, you went about it the wrong way round: You should have let her swim and play in the water and drag her in the sauna once she got cold. (That happens in 30 degrees too.) Then let her simmer until it was too hot to be and then take her back in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures look amazing in my opinion. Love how the pine trees encapsulate the area. I hope the mosquitoes didn't ruin your trip that much. I would definitely enjoy a vacation that involves doing nothing at all, besides enjoying the Finnish weather and the beauty of nature. I would recommend for future reference to use some sort of vinegar concoction to trap those pesky mosquitoes.

    Ronni Casillas @ JNH Life Styles

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.