Have you ever been to any ice-skate rink in Finland? Were you cautiously walking on the ice afraid of falling down, ashamed of being the only adult not able to move on smoothly forwards and backwards and being in panic because you just noticed you have no idea how to stop. And of course you are surrounded by all those kids from the age of 4 and wild youths who seem to be born with ice-skates. Yes, this is Finland. Literally everyone knows how to ice-skate. Kindergarten-aged kids go to ice-skate rinks during day care time, like my dauthter last week. Just instead of playing in a park. When the winter is cold enough you can find dozens of so called natural ice-skate rinks around the city. All football fields are covered with smooth ice, all lakes and puddles are turned into ice-skate rinks and of course you have also several artificial rinks, which can work even when temperatures go above zero. This year so far only the latter are available, cause the winter looks so so, too warm and too grey so far.
But anyway, going back to my skills. Unfortunately I am such a person as I mentioned above. No, no, it is not my first time ever wearing ice-skates. I used to do it a little when I was a kid (in Poland we do ice-skate), but first - I was a kid quite a while ago, second - I never took any instructions of how to properly skate, so I was always bad in this, third - standing on the ice again after... well, many years, is strange enough feeling to be afraid of moving. Falling down when you are close to 40 is not such a piece of cake as if you are five, like my daughter. But for this winter season my goal is to master my ice-skating skills. My and my daughter's of course. We are both very committed to this idea and passionate about it. Wish us good luck and good weather!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.