Last days there are coming to me thoughts about what kind of job could I make in Finland after my second child will reach the age of a day care. I know, I still have pretty much time, but as we all know time flies like crazy and those two to three years will just go by like an express train. That thought came to me last Friday while I was chatting with a mom in Wanda's day care. She's the bread winner, she's Finn and her husband, a Canadian, is a staying at home dad (for three years now) and he has difficulties to find a job in Finland. I didn't ask what is his profession, but she mentioned that time to time he does some freelance job from home. But in any case I think he's still better of than me, cause he is a native English speaker with some Finnish too. And my English is so-so, I mean on a professional level, that is I don't think it is good enough to write a good article for Helsinki Times and my Finnish is literally zero. And what else than writing can I do? Of course a physical work, but maybe it's not necessarily what I'd love to do... I'm not sure if I want to go back to what I did for all those years in the States, that is writing for Polish newspapers and magazines. And why not? Cause I'd love to go out to work and not being stick at home all day long seeing only my laptop. That was OK years ago, when there were no kids at home and we both were working like crazy 24/7 and home was actually partly an office. But not any more. It's not a working environment (with toys, laundry and dinner around) and I really would like to have a possibility to dress nicely and see other people. And I know that all the mothers know exactly what I mean. But besides that there is also the money aspect. To have a decent salary for Finnish standards and earning that money in Poland as a freelance journalist is almost impossible. I mean I should've been able to write four to five really big and deep articles a month. Regularly, every month and this is for very good paying publishers, for others probably even eight. Being a mother of two at the same time not quite possible I guess. And that would be like killing myself only to make a living. Worth it or not? Now I think I should have taken some writing classes while living in the States. The university was there, I was on campus almost every day. And I didn't make an advantage of it. I know, I was busy working, but that was the right time to learn something new. And instead my English grammar and vocabulary are horrible. It's not a journalistic level. And it probably never will be. But still I hope during the coming years I will come up to some ideas. I'm usually optimistic about my job. I wonder what other people like me managed to do. Didn't make much research on that, but maybe I should. And there is always a possibility to write a book :) Anyway, have a beautiful day.
Dear Aleksandra,
ReplyDeleteI find your blog its a source of information for expats or women planning to go there.
Please contact me at yini13@hotmail.com to ask you a personal question / advice.
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers, Karina