About me

Friday, February 3, 2012

About language. Again

It's already a little bit more than half a year since we've moved here, but my language skills as for Suomalainen (Finnish) are basically the same. What means - close to zero. My Finnish vocabulary is more or less on a lever of a 10 months old baby with understanding of a newborn one. And so far I did nothing to change it. Why? Because still in most cases in most situations I meet every day I don't need it. And of course the lack of time for learning is another thing. But time to time I have to encounter a person who doesn't speak English. Like recently while I was making a doctor appointment. Well, on a phone the person managed to figure out what I need and she booked the appointment for me. But when I came to see the doctor I even didn't think that she wouldn't speak English. Well, I started with English and she says something in Finnish. I repeat, that I don't speak Finnish and she again says something I don't understand. Finally I went very slowly using my hands too and she realized what's my problem. We finally got to the point, but it's really awful feeling not to be able to articulate a single word. And the Finns are so polite that they always apologize for not speaking English. That's make me feel even worse, because I live in their country and I should learn at least some basics. But when is another question. When I checked all the schedules for Finnish classes nothing could suit me. Talking about language I'm thinking what to do with our daughter's day care. The English one is great but if taking full-time very expensive. One the other hand she started to really learn English, every time she comes with some new words and songs and it's so natural for her to learn it and she understands more and more. I'm still reluctant to change this day care into a Finnish one. This can make such a distress - new place, new language she doesn't understand a word and all the kids, who can perfectly communicate in that language. But it costs almost nothing comparing with the private one...

4 comments:

  1. I will just repeat myself - I wouldn't think twice, I would definately sent her to the finnish kindergarden. She will learn English for sure sooner or later. Finnish - now is the chance. Plus a huge money saving - its a big plus!
    Just put her there and give it a month or two. You can always take her out, if its total fiasco! And expensive english kindergarden will take her back with open hands, im sure. Of course it will be tough for both of you at the beginning. If its too much stress for her, than think about other options. Children pick up languages so easy at this age. Give her a chance instead of taking it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... well, but what chance? If we won't stay here for ever than she will forget Finnish after just couple of years. And with English now she has a chance to learn it with not effort and be a bilingual kid. This is what I always wanted to achieve, but I didn't have this chance. And I remember my life long struggling with learning English. Well, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. English is way easier to learn. The basic vocabulary is monosyllabic, there's essentially no conjugation and obtaining study material is as easy as turning your TV on. With some help from school, you can learn it farily well as a second language. Start using it on the internet, read books in English and spend an exchange year in an English-speaking country and you'll speak like a native and write it better than they do. That is to say, there's time for that.
    I'd go with Finnish. Now's the time when the language is all around you. Then again I am a Finn.

    BTW, suomalainen refers to something (or someone) being Finnish whereas the language is simply suomi, same as the name of the country. First letters are not capitalized as they're not considered proper nouns (except when referring to the country).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for all your comments. Yes, it is something I have to think about again and again. thanks for correcting me! you see, how bad my suomi is! ;) maybe one day I will find some time and will to get at least some basics of that difficult language.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.