About me

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A day in wooden Käpyla

That is a perfect half a day trip or Sunday walk with the kids. As you could know from one of my previous posts I am a great fan of those old Finnish wooden houses, the remnants of the past. And it is quite astounding how many of those buildings are still enjoying their being in Helsinki. I've read about the time in Finland, around the 60. and 70. when in many towns those wooden buildings or all parts of towns were destroyed and replaced by new but quite ugly and definitely not romantic concrete blocks. But apparently Helsinki managed to save quite a bit of those neighborhoods. So there is Vallila, Kumpula and Käpyla and around downtown you can spot some of those houses too. But Käpyla is so different and so amazing for me. Walking around I couldn't stop feeling being in a different town, some small town somewhere in the middle of Finland and not in Helsinki. It has it's long and broad Main Street with a tram lane in the middle which ends up with a big square. There is a park, a playground and a school building around that square. And other streets are surrounding that place. There is this quietness specific for small towns. And of course being surrounded by all those wooden houses, some of them single family houses and others more like detached houses, made me feel like I would travel in space and time. This time I did some pictures and I promise to upload them, but I need some time to browse though all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.