About me

Friday, October 11, 2013

Nobel and my brain

It's October, it's Nobel Prize month. This is the week when I was always excited and I used to open my laptop early in the morning (in Sweden it was already afternoon) with a huge dose of curiosity and excitement and I was getting ready to act fast. That were those years in the States, before my sweet little Wanda was born. I remember so good reading fast who and for what discovery was awarded and where the guy comes from. If he was somewhere in the States I knew that the job is mine. The job of interviewing him as soon as possible. And it happened twice that I really managed to do this. Oh, I remember my excitement and that I was doing sort of historic thing, that I am talking with a guy who really has changed a world - in medicine or chemistry or other sciences. And those scientists are amazing, always quite shy, busy with their work, not willing to be on a first page, very polite, eager to explain in a simple language their crazy hard science. And now. This year I was so busy with my mundane stuff and with my kids that I even missed the days and have read the news day or two late. I tried to read what they were awarded for and reading the professional information (not from a daily newspaper) made me feel "I don't understand a word". It is sad how fast the brain deteriorates when not used. I wonder if it ever recovers if I will be back on track one day. And it is not a twenty something brain unfortunately... (to make things more positive there is an excellent book about a grown-up brain by Barbara Strauch :)) well, anyway, this year's Nobel prizes in science are wonderful and I am happy for the laureates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.